26 July 2006

Beware of yarn sales

A little less than a year ago, I went to Skein Lane for the first time, because it was my birthday and they were having an awesome sale. Now, the owner is retiring and the store is closing. I'm kind of sad, it's a nice big store and they had some great sales. I'm most likely going to go crazy tomorrow and buy everything quite a few skeins, when their closing/retirement sale starts. I have no idea how much they're going to mark down their items, so I'm trying not to be overly optimistic, but there will be some sort of prize contest, which I'm excited about.

In order to have some idea of what I will might buy tomorrow, I've been working on a yarn list for the various projects I want to make. I think I've narrowed it down to five projects, almost all with the original yarn called for:

1. Birch from Rowan Magazine 34. Three balls of Rowan Kid Silk Haze. I hate how the mohair gets all over everything, but it's such a gorgeous yarn that I try not to mind too much.

2. Paisley Lace Shawl from Spring 2005 Interweave Knits. Two 2 ounce balls of JaggerSpun Zephyr. Because I love Evelyn A. Clark patterns and I wouldn't mind having another shawl.

3. Lotus Blossom Tank from Summer 2006 Interweave Knits. Two balls of Southwest Trading Company Bamboo. I've never tried this yarn before, so I'm curious as to how it will knit up. (And do we see a lace theme?)

4. Socks. No specific pattern yet. Probably Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock, which comes in such great colorways. Maybe enough for two pairs.

5. Floral Tree Skirt from Handknit Holidays. Twenty-two skeins of Manos del Uruguay. Yeah, that's a lot of yarn. I don't plan on buying all 22 tomorrow--I'll have to see what colors they even have in stock. I won't be making this right away, but I might as well buy the yarn if it's a good price, right?

And, you know, there might be some impulse buys. Possibly non-yarn items, like books or needles.

But wait! That's not all. I want to go to Lambtown this weekend to get more spinning supplies, but my mom and sister don't seem very interested, so we'll see. I actually think my dad might be the one most willing to go, since he grew up in Dixon, where the event is held. (Random side note: the farm that my grandparents bought there used to be sheep pasture.) Then Stash, my usual yarn store, is going to have a bag sale at the beginning of August on discontinued yarns and yarns they won't be carrying anymore. So, I just might happen to buy more yarn there, because it may be my last chance to buy it locally. I really want a digital camera too, mostly so I can take pictures of my knitting and prove that I'm actually using all this yarn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home