03 October 2006

Socking: A History

Lolly has asked us Soctoberists to answer some questions. So, let's get to it!

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? Or in a class?
I taught myself in the summer of 2005, with the help of a Knitty article called Socks 101.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
*Looks down at feet* Broadripples.

They've held up fine, but then again I haven't worn this particular pair that much. (I don't wear orange that often.)

What would you have done differently?
Smaller needles, I think. They're a little bit loose for my small feet.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
My favorite sock yarn is definitely Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock. (My yarn buying tendencies confirm this: I've bought 8 skeins of it over the past year and a half or so.) Beautiful colors and so soft. If you made me knit with one yarn for the rest of my life, it would probably be this. Trekking has some great colors too, but after a trip through the wash the pair I made developed a bit of a halo. I also enjoyed working with Mountain Colors Bearfoot, but I wouldn't use it again for socks--too much mohair. (It gets all gross and semi-felted.) I don't know if it's typical for this yarn, but it bleeds a lot when I wash it (thankfully, the color doesn't fade).

Do you like to crochet your socks? Or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
No crochet here; all my socks are knitted. I've made some socks on DPNs and some using the Magic Loop method. If it weren't for the laddering and fear of losing a needle, I'd probably make all my socks with DPNs, since the extra cord length in the Magic Loop can be a bit fussy. I'll have to try two circulars next.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? Or short-row?)
I'm a heel-flapping kind of girl. I like all the different steps: slipping stitches, turning the heel, picking up stitches, and decreasing on the gusset. I've used short-row heels on two pairs of socks, but it wasn't quite the same.

How many pairs have you made?
Well, let's count.

That's eight pairs, plus a pair of ankle socks I made for my mom. So nine pairs total, and I'm working on the tenth.

And you?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just visited your blog and really enjoyed reading about your knitting activities! The photos are wonderful and yes, I did enjoy going to Los Altos in Sept. to hear the Yarn Harlot speak. She was so entertaining; it was quite an event.

October 23, 2006 9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen! It's really cool to see all your knitted items. I can only knit a scarf using the same stitching the whole way through. Post more stuff =D And keep up the good work!

October 24, 2006 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're an inspiration, Jennifer! Are you taking orders? eb

November 02, 2006 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home