29 March 2008

Shifting Elements

March is coming to a close and April is about to begin, which means Project Spectrum: Elements is changing from Fire to Earth. I've been playing with both elements.

Here is a fiery FO that was for both PS3 and Malabrigo March (Ravelry link).

IMG_5819 edited

Yarn: Malabrigo Yarn Merino Worsted in Geranio (44), one skein.
Pattern: The Amanda Hat (pdf) by Gina House. I used the same modifications as I did for my first Amanda Hat.
Needles: US 8 (5 mm) for body of hat, US 7 (4.5 mm) for decreases.

With the leftovers, I'm making Evangeline (fingerless gloves) from MagKnits. I hope I have enough yarn!

IMG_6390 edited

I'm carrying around this project in my new box bag. It's the perfect size for small knitting projects (7 inches long, 4 inches wide, and 3.5 inches tall).

IMG_6407 edited

I chose brown and green fabrics for the Earth element of PS3.

IMG_6399 edited

I used Drago[knit]fly's box bag tutorial, with a couple of modifications. After reading around on some blogs, I decided to add tabs to help make zipping and unzipping the bag easier.

IMG_6403 edited

I also concealed the raw edges with the extra brown fabric. I love how the inside of the bag turned out.

IMG_6400 edited

Making this bag was a bit more time-consuming than I had anticipated, since I ended up ripping and redoing a number of the seams (my sewing skills are a bit rusty), but it was worth it!

IMG_6394 edited

Labels: , , ,

01 March 2008

mmmMalabrigo March

Over on Ravelry, the Malabrigo Junkies group is celebrating Malabrigo March. There are a bunch of knitalongs and contests going on, so it's going to be an exciting month! I'm co-leading two of the KALs with sweetfigs - one for Koolhaas (KAL here) and one for the Amanda Hat (pdf) (KAL here).

In preparation for the KALs, I was working on an Amanda Hat this week.

IMG_5220 edited

Pattern: Amanda Hat (pdf) by Gina House
Yarn: Malabrigo Yarn Merino Worsted in Violetas (68), one skein
Needles: US 8 (5 mm), and US 7 (4.5 mm) for the decreases

The first time I worked through the pattern as written. However, the top ended up being a bit puckered and the hat was a bit too long. So I frogged back some, eliminating the last two rounds of the lace pattern. I worked the garter rounds, and then switched to smaller needles for the decreases. I also added an additional round of decreases (k2tog all the way around) before cinching off the top. The modified top ended up much smoother for me, and like how it turned out. I really enjoyed knitting this hat, and especially love how the combination of variegation and lace pattern worked out.

IMG_5274 edited

Time to cast on for more mmmMalabrigo hats!

Labels: , ,